RECIPES FOR HEALTH Celeriac, Celery and Carrot Remoulade

Information provided for interest only. Always consult your GP/MD or practitioner regarding any health issues or treatment.

Any references here to treat or treatment are confined to the article or research as presented.

If you have any queries about this then Herbs and Helpers will be happy to clarify verbally.

RECIPES FOR HEALTH Celeriac, Celery and Carrot Remoulade

Postby herbsandhelpers » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:20 pm

RECIPES FOR HEALTH
Celeriac, Celery and Carrot Remoulade

Time 30 minutes

Yield Serves 6

When I lived in France I discovered céleri rémoulade, the creamy grated salad made with celery root, mayonnaise or crème fraîche, or both, and mustard. It was a dish I always ordered when I saw it on café menus, and brought home from French delis on a regular basis. This is inspired by the French salad, but it is not quite as creamy (or gloppy). However you can make it more so if you wish just by adding more crème fraîche, yogurt (healthier), or mayonnaise.

Gluten Free, Halal, Kosher, Low Cholesterol, Nut Free, French

INGREDIENTS

1 medium celeriac, about 3/4 pound without stalks, peeled and grated (about 4 cups)
6 ounces carrots, peeled and grated (about 2 cups)
4 ounces celery, thinly sliced (about 1 1/8 cups)
Salt
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
¼ cup crème fraîche
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ to 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION

Place celeriac, carrots and celery in a bowl or colander and salt generously. Toss and leave for 30 minutes. Taking mixture up by the handful, squeeze out excess water and transfer to a bowl. Add chives and parsley and toss together.

Whisk together crème fraîche, mayonnaise, grapeseed oil, yogurt, lemon juice and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add to the vegetables and toss together. Serve right away or for even better results, refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.

Advance preparation: Will keep for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator.

Nutritional information per serving: 163 calories; 13 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 16 milligrams cholesterol; 10 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 200 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 3 grams protein

Recipe by MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
herbsandhelpers
Site Admin

Return to Conditions